Thomas Cruise Mapother IV, born on July 3, 1962 (age 57), in Syracuse, New York, is a one of the most famous actors today. This man is ageless—known by everyone and I mean every single one of us. Cruise is not only an actor, but also a producer and an entrepreneur.
Cruise is born with German, Irish, and English ancestry. His mother, Mary lee is a special education teacher and his father, Thomas Cruise Mapother III is an electrical engineer who raised him under Catholicism. Cruise and the family relocated year-by-year, making him attend 15 different schools. Apart from the relocation, Cruise also experienced abuse at home.
At 18, although Cruise dropped out in both school and his priestly dreams, it opened up a whole new avenue for the teenager to explore—acting. He came to New York inspired with this new interest—finding his own acting career. In 1981, Endless Love was his debut in the big stage but Risky Business was the true stepping-stone of his career—receiving a Golden Globe nomination.
A couple of years later, Cruise has already made the limelight his own, starring in top-grossing films during the 80s including Top Gun, Rain Man, The Color of Money, and Born on the Fourth of July. In the 90s, movies like Mission: Impossible and Jerry Maguire were his highlights, especially the latter when it gave him his Academy Award Nomination for best actor.
|Net Worth:||~ $550 Million|
|Source of Income:||Actor, producer, entrepreneur|
|Birthday||July 3, 1962|
|Country of Origin:||Syracuse, New York|
- Priest before Actor.. As a kid who was raised with a Catholic background, you couldn’t blame Cruise for wanting to be a priest in the first place. If he would, though, he’d probably receive an award for the most charming priest out there—if the award exists in the first place.
- “I feel the need… the need for SPEED.”.. Top Gun is Cruise’s best film to date. If $180 million in the U.S. and $356 million worldwide don’t make you an actor, then nothing will.
- He’s actually Aladdin.. Disney said that to make Aladdin more likable, they had to borrow certain features out of Cruise’s face and hair. Now that’s great marketing. 😉
- He was supposed to be Iron Man!.. Whuuut?! Before the legend that is Robert Downey Jr., there was supposed to be Tom Cruise. The MCU first offered Tom Cruise the part, but declined the offer.
- No gyms, just the outside world.. He sea-kayaks, caves, fences, rock-climbs and hikes. This man doesn’t need any gyms!
- Cruise was dyslexic.. He couldn’t read until he was an adult because of his case of dyslexia. In fact he was so afraid of other kids to know about his learning disability because he thought he’d be sent to remedial reading.
- Cruise has yet to win his first Oscar.. Weirdly enough, I always thought he already won his first Oscar. Maybe a majority of us do. He’s only been nominated three times because of Magnolia, Jerry Maguire, and Born on the Fourth of July.
- He’s a pilot… kinda.. Well, he has a pilot’s license an even flies himself to wherever he wants and needs. He owns a Gulfstream G450 which costs him around $38 million.
- Tom Cruise Day.. There’s no country like Japan. Every October 10, Japan would celebrate “Tom Cruise Day”.
- MTV made an award for him.. Tom Cruise accepted the first-ever Generation Award in 2005. The award was given to “an artist who has shown us a variety of impressive roles, a personal and professional flair, and of course, an awesome level of talent”.